[Sussex] Help with i810 and friends on a dell laptop

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sun Jun 26 23:36:41 UTC 2005

Rupert

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:59:17PM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> OK. I've finally decided to try getting graphics acceleration working on
> my Dell 500m laptop.

Good luck.

> It's got horrible integrated graphics (lspci=):
> 0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM
> Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
> 0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corp. 82852/855GM Integrated
> Graphics Device (rev 02)
>
> But that's OK - theres a nice driver called i810 which takes care of
> them properly together with i830 and i915 (I don't really understand...)
>
> But how about 3D/DRI? I've put the normal DRI directives into my
> xorg.conf file (oh yeah, sorry - xorg, not XFree) and in fact the
> Xorg.log file reports that direct rendering has been enabled.
>
> It's lying! glxinfo disagrees and glxgears gives me ~230 FPS with 100%
> cpu usage - presumably not done in hardware, then!
>
> I'm happy to post logs/config files if anyone would like to see them,
> but thought it might be considered rude on the 1st post.
>
> If anyone else has had experience getting things working with this yucky
> graphics card, I'd be grateful for any help,

I have a similar problem with my Sony + ATI graphics.  After trying every
think I could think of (and google) I found a page that said that my
lappie didn't have enough video memory.  When I looked I found this is
the XFree86 log (Xorg hasn't been forked from XF86 for that log to be
that difference):
   (II) RADEON(0): Memory manager initialized to (0,0) (1408,1489)
   (II) RADEON(0): Reserved area from (0,1050) to (1408,1052)
   (II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1408 x 437
   (II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled
   (==) RADEON(0): Backing store disabled
   (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
   (II) RADEON(0): Using hardware cursor (scanline 1052)
   (II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1408 x 434
   (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

3D (as I understand it) need loads of memory and they don't put enough
into laptops (which I can understand as more memory equals shorter
battery life).  I've just come to accept that I can't do 3D in hardware
on my laptop.

> P.S. I'm inundated in A-level exams at the moment, ending this week, so
> I apologise if I take a day or so to reply on occasion!

Good luck.

BOFH excuse #267:

The UPS is on strike.