[Sussex] SuSE 9.3 - curious behaviour

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 27 12:42:06 UTC 2005

On Sunday 26 June 2005 15:27, John D. wrote:
> I think I'm getting confused about what the hell I'm doing here!
>
> I think I've installed Opera 8.01, Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
> Opera, when the icon is clicked, seems to be starting. Then it just
> stops. WTF?????
Check the properties for the icon. The exec path should be '/usr/bin/opera'

> Firefox, after following the instructions in the release notes, seems to
> have installed, but I can't work out how to start it - I don't seem to
> be able to "link to application" for a desktop start icon.
>
> Thunderbird also seems to be there i.e. I managed to get it to
> install/start and get my e-mail account set up, but don't seem to be
> able to "link to application" either. Hence I've kept it minimised so
> I've got the use, but suspect that when I send this and try to close,
> it'll also disappear off into my system somewhere.
Using Konqueror go to this address
ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/
ftp://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/MIRROR.suse/pub/suse/i386
http://ftpgwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm
right click on the 9.3 directory and select actions>Add directory as yast
source.

Do the same with the directory "yast-source" at this url
ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.3
and this for Gnome
ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_9.3

each time you will be asked for the root password then after a while you get
an OK dialogue box pop up.

Now open YaST2 >software >Install and Remove Software
change Filter from search to Package Groups
At the bottom of the left pane highlight zzz-all
In the top bar Package >All in this list > Update if newer version available
Click Accept

Have fun