[Sussex] File-sharing suffers major defeat

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Mon Jun 27 17:42:54 UTC 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 17:51, Andrew Guard wrote:

> Well thats it, Intel will have sack all R&D teams and take on Lawers
> etc.  It realy this bad, forget about Linux as no one going to write any
> code for it now.
>

> Realy is this serious for every thing.

Hmmm, Andrew, you are being a little over dramatic.  Yes it is a somewhat
surprising and important decision that sets a precedent  in the US but it's
also very controversial and precedents can be overturned just as easily as
they can be made.

Moreover there is zero reason why this should have any impact on F/L/OSS
development in general - only those applications  that fall into the area of
"file sharing" when they are coupled with provision of services in support
media file sharing.

Much as I dislike the music and film industries aggressive attitude and their
hypocritical arguments they are actually dealing with a copyright abuse that
is increasingly common.  I don't like the solution but I also think that
blind support of file sharing and rampant disregard for copyright just makes
people look ludicrous.

Ultimately copyright is the cornerstone of F/L/OSS and it's only it's legal
weight that allows us to set the terms of use at all.

--
Geoffrey J. Teale
Free Software Foundation