[Sussex] PS3 Linux ?

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 09:14:55 UTC 2005

 From: Paul Tansom [mailto:paul at aptanet.com]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] PS3 Linux ?

> On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 14:49 +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > Well it starting to look like PS3 is going to be a Linux box but
Sony
> > isn't closing any doors for Mac or Windows.
> >
> > It is interesting to hear they think PS3 will be us not just for
games but
> > all things like HDTV editing system.
> >
> > http://ps3.ign.com/articles/624/624046p1.html
> >

> > I would love to order one these, I am just not that rich so will
have wait
> > another year.
> >
> > http://ps3.ign.com/articles/628/628048p1.html
>
> Personally I'd be surprised to see Windows or Mac OS on the PS3.
> Microsoft is unlikely to port Windows across and give the
competition's
> console a feature not on their own, and Apple are hardly likely to
port
> Mac OS onto another processor and hardware that is cheaper than their
> own.

Equally Microsoft would jump at the chance of offering an operating
system sub par to the one featured in their own games console. Think
about it control over what your competitor can do.
In the same note I don't think sony would take this route and we may see
some interesting games ported to native linux, on the other hand I don't
like our chances.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.