[Sussex] SuSE 9.3 more curious behaviour.

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 19:25:08 UTC 2005

I think that I've solved some of the problems I've been experiencing,
but not all.

I installed firefox, thunderbird, opera, mozilla to name but a few. All
these apps will start as root, but not as user.

I seem to have them showing as my user as the "owner", and they show in
the users group. I'm not sure what I should be seeing if I check the
permissions, plus, previously I've experienced a problem with a
different distro where it seemed that I had to have "exec" as an fstab
option, is that correct??

Because my fstab looks like this

/dev/hda3            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/hda1            /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/hda4            /home                ext3       defaults              1 2
/dev/hda2            swap                 swap       pri=42                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs      noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs      noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0             /media/floppy        subfs      noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

and I've not seen an fstab that has stuff like "acl, user_xattr" and the
like.

Hence the question. Or is there something else that I should be looking at?

regards

John D.