[Sussex] USB Flash drive using RedHat 8

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Wed Jun 29 09:00:35 UTC 2005

Brendan Whelan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just bought my first USB Flash Drive. It works fine under XP but
> my RedHat 8 system appears to make any attempt to access the drive i.e.
> the LED (on the chip) doesn't flash and no new drive appears in my list
> of partitions/devices.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,   Brendan

You could try looking at the output of dmesg ("dmesg | less"). There
should be something about the usb subsystem finding the device, and then
the SCSI system making a fake SCSI disk /dev/sda or something.

If nothing is happening, your USB hub probably isn't being seen. For a
start, do "lsmod | grep hcd". This will show you which of the ohci-hcd,
uhci-hcd and ehci-hcd modules are being used. Depending on the computer,
you need different ones (in fact, my laptop has two different grrr..).

If not all three are present, try "modprobe <u|e|o>hci-hcd" (depending
on the module) and see whether pretty lights start.

Another way of checking whether it's the hub is to plug a USB optical
mouse in. If the hub's enabled, the mouse is powered and the light turns
on. :)

Let us know how you get on,

Rupert