[Sussex] Suse 9.3 Pro for free?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Jun 30 19:08:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 17:46 +0100, Paul Graydon wrote:
> Hmm.. Interesting.  I went on automatic, and followed the route for
> x86_64, as I'm running an AMD64 based system here.
> ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/suse/i386/9.3/iso/
>
> Looks like a full set of CD ISOs there for pro version, though as you
> say no DVD isos.  I've long since given up on mirror.ac.uk.  Ever since
> its been moved to its new hosts (last year?) its service has been
> appalling, and seems to take about a month and a half to update, wheras
> before it was fast and always up to date.

I'm with you on the mirror service. I wrote it off when it dropped off
line, and I've not gone back to it. A nuisance and a bit sad really, it
was always a site I relied on to be comprehensive and up to date (as
well as local).

> I've been supporting a Novell based network for 4 1/2 years now, I'm
> more than used to seeing Novell websites saying one thing and actually
> meaning another :-)  The community always does a better job! In many
> regards Novell are a lot like Microsoft when it comes to passing
> information to customers.

Never really got anywhere near Novell, although I do have a customer
with an installation of 3.1 sitting on DOS! When I moved to PCs I
started on OS/2, then moved to NT and have now settled on Linux.

> For your point 2) if you read the novell site it tells you it might be
> called boot.iso, which I can see here:
> ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/suse/i386/9.3/boot/
>
> But you're right, that plainly labelled install one doesn't seem to
> appear on any of the dozen mirrors I've checked.

Hmm, I missed that somehow, not quite sure how though, although the font
on the site was a little small (I should have increased it). You're
right though, that file is there :)

I'll likely wait until I'm closer to actually trying it before
downloading, especially as Novell sent me a copy of 9.2 a while ago, so
I'm not that far out of date.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/