[Sussex] Help with NFS

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Wed Mar 2 12:43:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:29:59PM +0000, David Chapman wrote:
> I have a Mandrake box that I use to share mp3's over my network via NFS and
> Samba.. It works fine.
>
> I have my machine which is SuSE 9.2 which I want to
> share /var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt (this is were downloaded updates are stored) to
> the other 2 computers that run SuSE
> When I try to add this to the computer my boys use (nitrogen.home.lan) my
> computer does not show up as hydrogen.home.lan  but will show as
> 192.xxx.xxx.xxx
> trying to mount this share ends with connection refused by server.
>
> The Mandrake box shows up as mandrake.home.lan
> Every box gets a dhcp lease from an IPcop
>
> contents of /etc/exports
> /var/lib/YaST2/you/mnt/	192.168.0.*(ro,sync)
>
> Were might I be going wrong ?

There should be some clues in the logs on the NFS server box in this
case. You should look here first.

On the box that runs the NFS server: What is the contents of
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny ?

Many (some? most?) distributions have "ALL: PARANOID" in /etc/hosts.deny
- which effectively blocks any hosts where the reverse dns doesn't
work...

If this is the problem, man hosts_access(5) is your friend. But still
check the logs first - I might be barking up the wrong tree here..

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com