[Sussex] Logitech

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Mar 2 20:50:28 UTC 2005

Angelo

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:33:28PM +0000, Angelo Servini wrote:
> A mail I sent to Logitech and their response.
<snipage>
> Logitech generally tries to provide software support for popular
> applications by writing code that meets current software development
> standards. This way if other applications are written to the same
> standards, our products will work in them. Currently there is no support
> for the application that you have mentioned, either because your
> application is not a standard application or our software was developed
> without testing it in your application...

Good luck!  :-)

But unless they release the software under the GPL you are no better
off.  And I do mean the GPL - you need a license that allows you, the
user, access to the source.  The BSD license just will not do - it
empowers only the developers, not the users too.

Think of it this way:  If they don't release the software under the
GPL how are you going to upgrade to a new version of the kernel (to
patch a security bug) if they don't support that version of the kernel?
You an either stop using their software or remain open to an attack - not
a nice position to be in.

Demand the GPL!!!!!!

Steve - Getting off his soap box :-)

P.S.  To avoid the flame fest, in this e-mail I use the term GPL to
include any GPL-like license that REQUIRES that the user has access
to the source.