[Sussex] Redbus

paul at paulgraydon.co.uk paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 19:41:24 UTC 2005

A friend of mine has a domain hosted by another company on servers at
Redbus, and one hosted by Redbus Interhouse.  He's not best amused
either, and nor are his hosts, who are now investigating a change of
service provider.  This is just one crash too many as far as they're
concerned!

He got two quotes, first from the hosts using Redbus:
"At 1100 this morning, RedBus Interhouse suffered a large power outage
affecting several floors of their datacentre. This affected both our
equipment and our interconnects to our upstream providers. Power to our
equipment was restored at around 1130, however our interconnects were
still down. We checked our equipment and at around 1215 our
interconnects came back up. We apologies to our customers for any
problems or inconvenience this may have caused."

And the other from Redbus themselves.
"The power failure was caused by the incoming mains into the UPS feeder
board blowing up causing the power to go down"

Read into that what you will, in its slightly odd grammar (Did the
incoming feed spike?  Did a board on the UPS feeder blow?  Both?).  To
an extent I find it surprising they haven't got sufficient redundancies
in place to deal with such eventualities.  There is only so much you can
probably do if you incoming feed spikes, and I would probably classify
30 minutes as a reasonable length of time to cut power, replace UPS
units with backups, and then power back up again.  To take a further 45
minutes to get around to bringing up the interconnects seems a little
odd to me.  Even if our servers at work crash nastily, it still only
takes them about 20 minutes to disk check and remount all drives, and
I'm sure our server / capacity ratio is fairly high on a scale of
things.