[Sussex] External USB modem

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 3 20:54:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 10:31 +0000, Diego Moore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The time has come when I'm thinking of migrating my parents of to
> linux. Would anyone happen to know if this modem is a win-modem:
> http://www.dynamode.co.il/usb-thomson-56k.htm ? Its an 56k external
> Dynamode Smart USB.

You'll find this site useful for all things Linmodem:

http://linmodems.org/

It may be that USB external modem support may be similar to the support
fir USB PDAs. The following is a modification of the setup for a USB
PDA.

Plug the modem in and see what your system logs report in terms of USB
devices.

Then enable USB Serial Converter support in your kernel as necessary for
your modem. You should then find the modem in /dev/tts listed as USB?.

You should then be able to use the modem as standard.

Steve Williams.