[Sussex] Life with Ubuntu

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 4 07:37:06 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 02:27 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> Rupert
>
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:17:12PM +0000, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> > Disadvantage: (the only one!)
> > Whatever you do, don't get ubuntu/debian if you're still on dialup.
> > Waiting for packages to download is a real killer when you want to upgrade.
>
> I used Debian for years on a dial up.  If you're using dial up you
> really need to be on BT's Surf Anytime package so the cost of the call
> is free.
>
> So my response to your disadvantage is don't wait!!! Go shopping, go
> to sleep, do something else.
>
> As long as that download time is, it is still shorter than doing a
> full Gentoo rebuild from scratch!!!!  - Sorry Geoff/SteveW couldn't
>                                         resist the dig :-)

So what's the problem here? If I have a big gentoo compile to run, I let
it run overnight. The only part of the gentoo build process that takes
such a long time is the stage 3 build, and you can minimise that by
excluding KDE and X from your use flags.

Compiling X and KDE are the tasks that take a lot of time, but once
they're done......

Besides, you could always do a Stage 3 install with GRP if you want a
binary gentoo install.

Steve W.