[Sussex] Life with Ubuntu

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 10:26:37 UTC 2005

 From: Steve Dobson [mailto:steve at dobson.org]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] Life with Ubuntu

> Rupert
>
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:17:12PM +0000, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> > Disadvantage: (the only one!)
> > Whatever you do, don't get ubuntu/debian if you're still on dialup.
> > Waiting for packages to download is a real killer when you want to
upgrade.

> I used Debian for years on a dial up.  If you're using dial up you
> really need to be on BT's Surf Anytime package so the cost of the call
> is free.
>
> So my response to your disadvantage is don't wait!!! Go shopping, go
> to sleep, do something else.
>
> As long as that download time is, it is still shorter than doing a
> full Gentoo rebuild from scratch!!!!  - Sorry Geoff/SteveW couldn't
>                                         resist the dig :-)

Sorry I've just got to say something to this I've installed Gentoo on my
system before and didn't feel it was that slow. What ever system your
running you have to consider the setup time ok so it take a bit longer
to compile on Gentoo but with an average system that you can get of the
shelf these days its not that slow.

Anyway we are part of a community that accepts different ways of doing
things and I think I've seen to many digs at Gentoo lately.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.