[Sussex] BCF Report - March 2005

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Mar 7 11:37:15 UTC 2005

Steve

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 11:10:53AM +0000, Stephen Williams wrote:
> I had said that I would be able to get along, but Mother's Day
> intervened. Comments noted, I will have a think about what I can do to
> help.

They only help that is needed is help on the stand.

There have been comments by some in the past that the stand is
"to Debian" - this is not true.  Debian is almost never mentioned.
A typical conversation with a passing punter goes something like
this:

  SLUG: Hi, have you heard of Linux.

  PUNTER: Yes, I've been thinking of tying it, but...

  SLUG: Well he have the perfect thing here.  It's a Knoppix CD.
    Put it in your CDROM driver, boot of it and you can try Linux
    without ever going anywhere need your Window's data.

  PUNTER: What can I do with it.

  SLUG: Well it comes with OpenOffice, ...

You get the idea.  It is only when the punters already have Linux
installed that we start talking about Linux distros.

It is true that the four core stand members have Debian polo shirts,
but that is more to "theme" the table and make us easy to spot.  When
Karl, Nik and I did the first show we already had those shirts.  When
Colin joined us he was a Debian user and wanted a polo shirt anyway.
If to do attend the should then the basic theme is black.