[Sussex] Gentoo and gcc updating?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 16:21:42 UTC 2005

Geoffrey J. Teale wrote:

>-----%<-----
>
>A quick question.  Why do you want to upgrade GCC?

Thanks for the reply Geoff,

I was reading some stuff that alluded to the possibility, that as
"things" progress, that gentoo systems compiled with older versions may
start complaining about install/update/upgrade (eventually), though of
course, my limited knowledge may have meant that I mis-understood.

Hence I thought I'd better ask about the ramifications of whether it's
something that would would/should need doing (as opposed to just doing
the daily "emerge sync"/"emerge -uD world" for the latest versions of
everything.

bash-2.05b$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.5-r1, ssp-3.3.2-3, pie-8.7.7.1)
bash-2.05b$

Which means I'm still not quite "au fait" as to whether this would be
necessary, seeing as how I understand that gcc 3.4.x now seems to be
"the flavour/version of the moment".

regards

John D.