[Sussex] Sod Software Patents, did you know that.........

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 20:32:23 UTC 2005

....................silence is copyrighted? That's right, Silence. As in
the absence of all sound.

I presume that you didn't and neither did songwriter Mike Batt until the
publishers of the composer John Cage threatened him with legal action
for breach of copyright.

The offending track was Batt's "A Minute's Silence" in which they said
he plagiarised Cage's 4' 3". Both featured absolutely no sound at all.

Batt said in his own defence: "I've been accused of breaching copyright
of his silence of four minutes and 33 seconds in presenting a silence of
my own of one minute and I claim that my silence is an original silence
and it's not a quotation from his silence".

As amusing as it is surreal, the copyrighting of silence is indicative
of a wider stranglehold that business has on intellectual property laws.

It is a stranglehold that many are now subverting and, indeed,
fundamentally challenging.

That's a quote from an article in todays Morning Star. Though it made me
wonder if it would be easy to prove the "prior" thing (art/use/whatever
it is) for silence, or whether it would indeed, be laughed out of court
if it ever got that far!

regards

John D.