{Dangerous Filename?} Re: [Sussex] nvidia and ubuntu

Rupert Swarbrick rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net
Thu Mar 17 20:42:09 UTC 2005

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed
Warning: (Xorg.0.log.old).
Warning: Please read the "lugorguk-Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

Hmmm...
Broken it again!

I upgraded the nvidia-kernel-* packages and moved to x.org from hoary
the other day.

And now I've hosed my nvidia drivers somehow. Confusingly, the binary
drivers straight from nvidia that I downloaded ages ago
(NVIDIA_installer...blahblah.sh) work perfectly after you run the thing.
Even the makefile inside the package is fine. And after you've done
that, X is perfectly happy.

When you reboot, however, something is broken (or hasn't been run, I
guess), and you get the singularly unhelpful error log that I've
attached and no X11. Anyone had this problem themselves and know a
workaround? (Google has failed me for once!)

Thanks in advance,

Rupert