[Sussex] Curious happenings doing gentoo kernel upgrade?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 14:42:11 UTC 2005

Paul Turner wrote:

> Has it upgraded your system to gcc4?  I don't know as I'm not using
> gentoo at the moment, but has similar issues in the past when gcc
> changed.  Full recompile (almost).
>
> Hopefully someone else here can shed more light on this?

It looks like

bash-2.05b# gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5 *
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardened
[3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednopie
[4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.5-hardenednossp
bash-2.05b#

"not". Should "it" be at gcc 3.4 then ? i.e. is it likely that thats the
latest "stable" version? because when I've done "emerge -p gcc" (or -up
gcc for that matter) I just nothing to upgrade or should the 3.3.5 that
appears above be OK?

Or, is it just that the boot up dialogue reports "Starting natsemi" then
"natsemi failed"? Though because nothing graphical starts up either with
the 2.6.11-r4 I seem to be able to run links which (I think?) confirms
the connections actually working.

Hence "confusion reigns"!

regards

John D.