[Sussex] Audacity error

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 22 23:38:06 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the sound editor, Audacity. It worked fine the
first time I ran it in Ubuntu, but ever since then it displays an error
message: "There was an error initialising the audio i/o layer. You will
not be able to play or record audio. Error: HOST ERROR".

Audacity starts up after this message & will edit & save files quite
happily, but it won't play anything. I have to play any saved files in
XMMS. The preferences screen in Audacity doesn't offer anything to
select in either playback or recording device options

I can't see what the problem can be. I didn't make any changes between
the first & second time I opened Audacity.

XMMS is happy, MIDI is working. All seems well as far as I can
determine.

If it helps, I have Gnome 2.8, no KDE stuff at all (KDE artsd was
suggested as a possible problem in a Linux Audio Group), ALSA (although
I can also use OSS).

Any help appreciated,

TIA

Gavin.