[Sussex] Question

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Mar 23 11:32:14 UTC 2005

"Chris Jones" <cmsj at tenshu.net> writes:
-----%<--------

> Indeed, it is sadly all too easy to cowtow to the bluesky brigade. I run
> our mail servers and I flatly refused to add anything beyond the very
> short FSA regulation statements we are required to place on outgoing
> communications of any kind, after management suggested I start lifting
> parts of other email disclaimers ;)

That's just plain stupid.  How can people have such a pitifully poor
understanding of the law.  In any situation, lifting a statement that
someone else legal team has written (if it was written by a legal team
at all, which is usually doubtful) is unlikely to cover the specifics
of your needs anyway.

If someone approached me with another companies signature and said
"append this to all outgoing mail" I would point out to that person
that the signature was the copyright material of it's author and that
I would like them to obtain express permission from that author and
legal advice on it's content before I even considered appending it to
my mail :-)

> I do understand that not everyone is in a position to be able to do that,
> but I would ask that people at least pass the information up the chain. It
> might resonate with someone important by accident and do some good ;)

Absolutely.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com