[Sussex] data aquisition

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Thu Mar 24 10:41:52 UTC 2005

"Brendan Whelan" <b_whelan at mistral.co.uk> writes:

> Rob,
>
> Some further thoughts. By training I am a Chartered Mechanical Engineer and,
> whilst well out of date on current engine technology, I do have a basic
> understanding of how engines work and the sort of data that you may want to
> collect. The key question is how fast do you need to measure the
> information. For example, your may just want to measure steady state
> conditions i.e. when an engine is under constant load/speed conditions. Or
> are you trying to measure conditions during transients e.g. a steady speed
> increase. At the extreme you may want to measure pressure/temperature
> changes during combustion - but hopefully not. The speed of gathering needed
> obviously will determine the type of IO card which you need and hence how
> much you have to pay.

Further to this I'd posit that if you do need to take accurate
measurements then you should consider the real time extensions to the
Linux kernel.  I don't know how much the sensory equipment you're
using will do for you, but if you're receiving data in real time
you're going to need to be careful about how you process it.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com
Free Software Foundation   -   tealeg at member.fsf.org