[Sussex] Just introducing myself: Frances

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Tue Mar 29 15:55:28 UTC 2005

"Fleming, Frances" <Frances.Fleming at edfenergy.com> writes:

> Hi all!

Hi,

> Hope everyone had a good Easter break.

Yes thanks :-)

> I've just found out about SLUG and am looking forward to joining in
> :)

New blood is always welcome.

> I've been casually using Linux since about August 2004 and had been
> reading up about GNU/Linux/Open Source since Red Hat 9 came out, and
> liking what I saw.

I'm beginning to forget when I started using Linux, I know I was first
exposed at Uni in the mid 1990s.

> I've installed, one at a time on my tiny 10GB hard drive:

10GB, tiny?   You're making me feel old.

> Red Hat 9
> (great), Mandrake (failed), Lindows (too sparse), Zandros (failed), SuSE
> 9.0 Pro (brilliant) and SuSE 9.2 Pro (even more brilliant). The SuSE
> distros were boxed sets with full manuals, picked up from the Linux User
> and Developer stand at the last couple of London Expos - did anyone from
> SLUG go at all? I went both days each time. Incidentally, the helicopter
> sim was super cool :)

Many LUG members have been to these over the years.  I haven't been
myself for a couple of years now.

---%<-----

> At work I'm a full time developer in - sorry ;-] - ASP, MS IIS web
> server and MS SQL Server database, with the Select data modelling tool
> and Visio diagrammer. I'll soon be plunging into ASP.NET and XML.

Ewwww..  Try LISP instead - it may be have been around for 5 decades
but it's got more new and interesting ideas than Java and .Net put
together.

*queue flames*

I'm a full time Linux developer, but I've done my fair share of MS
development and I can only say that once you find the true path you
never look back.

> Well, see you at the Moot on Thursday.

Maybe so,... yes that's right folks, I may (and I stress the _may_)
make it this time.

--
Geoff Teale
CMed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com