[Sussex] Problems, various........

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat May 7 16:46:06 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

>> Well I must be missing something, because xcdroast is hanging as
>> well. Hanging??? well it certainly isn't writing anything! Damn Damn
>> Damn.
>

> Sometimes, this "linux lark" is beyond belief!
>
> I've spent about 3 days on and off trying to get these iso's burned.
> Xcdroast didn't want to work, so I boot into my root account to see
> whats going on and bloody k3b decides to start and has burned the
> discs - the md5sums where correct, so I'll try to boot now and see if
> I can get the gentoo installed!

Oh well, thats that idea out of the window. It'll boot the install disc,
but when I get to "untarring the stage" it just reports that it "Cannot
open: No such file or directory ./whatever/" etc etc and errors out at
the end. I suppose that that means that there is something wrong with
the writing part of my burner! Bugger.

I don't suppose that anyones got a pair of up to date gentoo discs that
I can borrow (x86 install, and packages)?

regards

John D.

p.s. Erm, also does anyone know if it matters which replacement burner I
get (a dual dvd/cdrw model looks ideal) as it'll probably have to be a
"PCWorld" wonder device? (i.e. any particular makes to avoid etc ??)