[Sussex] Embedded Linux

Clive Chapman anbeyon at btinternet.com
Wed May 11 10:12:25 UTC 2005

Hi

I am hoping someone in this mail list might be able to help me.

I am a relative new comer to LINUX and have the task of developing an
application using a port of LINUX that runs on some hardware that uses an
Intel PXA255 processor.

I have my GCC development tools up and running and so can now cross compile
using my Suse 9.2 PRofessional host to the target board.  ( Linux is also up
and running on the Target)

However, I am having some problems due to lack of knowledge.

The embedded target has an LCD controller built onto it and in my application
I need to provide users with  a good, modern GUI.

I plan to try and use the GTK+ toolkit, running in the first instance on X but
ulimately www.directfb.org to save on memory etc...

Anyway,  I need to take GTK and all of the associated required libraries and
then cross compile them fro use on my target hardware.

I have not used such large packages to date and so I am not familiar with the
use of ./configure scripts.

I have searched the web and mail lists for info regarding crosscompiling GTK
but have only really found lots of questions like mine and no clear answers.

Has any one else out there done much of this and if they have would you be
able to help me out ?

I look froward to your replies, thoughts etc......

Thanks in advance

Clive Chapman