[Sussex] CAD for Linux

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri May 13 08:57:29 UTC 2005

John

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:36:57PM +0100, John Gregory wrote:
> I have just had an email from BricsCad:--
>
> We are almost there : we plan to release the first commercial version of
> Bricscad for Linux within 3 weeks.
>
> This is truly good news for me as lack of a CAD package, which has to be
> 100% compatible with AutoCAD  and Ordnance Survey Superplan .dxf files, was
> really the only good reason for keeping XP.

What is the license going to be?  If it is a fully commercial product that
would require all uses to buy a copy then it is of only of limited "good
news". You would be locked in to using Bricscad on Linux rather than
AutoCAD or Windows.

For those that want your freedom in a CAD system then check out

QCad: http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
 With QCad 2 you can easily construct and change drawings with ISO-texts and
 many other features and save them as DXF-files. These DXF-files are the
 interface to many CAD-systems such as AutoCADR and many others.

or

Varkon: http://www.tech.oru.se/cad/varkon
 VARKON is a high level development tool for applications in the
 area of Engineering, Computer Aided Design and Product Modelling.

 VARKON can be used as a traditional CAD-system with drafting,
 modelling and visualisation if you want to but the real power of
 VARKON is in parametric modelling and CAD applications development.
 VARKON includes interactive parametric modelling in 2D or 3D but also
 the unique MBS programming language integrated in the graphical
 environment.