[Sussex] Grub (becoming another gentoo thread...)

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue May 17 09:23:21 UTC 2005

'ello LUG

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 08:44:07PM +0100, Steve Williams wrote:
> The problem is that if a binary distro install doesn't happen in a
> fairly straightforward and error-free way, there's not much point
> using it compared to Gentoo.

I don't agree with this at all.  There are many reasons for me why a
binary install will always win.

> The time taken to configure Ubuntu or Arch or SomeotherLinux may well
> begin to approach that of Gentoo if I'm constantly having to battle my
> way through a recalcitrant install that whinges about package
> dependencies, or won't boot because grub.conf or device.map has been
> set up incorrectly. I might as well stick to Gentoo.

Sorry are you trying to say that gentoo's same version of grub-install
somehow works out the device.map for you?

> I agree that on conventional PCs (one ide disk, processor etc.) Ubuntu
> or Arch may well be a snap to install, but if I'm going to be
> converted to one of these binary distros the install has got to cope
> with odd configurations such as my spare box.

Er, there's no distribution that'll do what everyone wants out of the
box.  You have to configure them all.  You just spend less time going
from "ooh I want KDE installed and configured" to actually using it on a
binary distribution as you don't have to wait for it to compile.

I don't, honestly, think you want to be converted ;)

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|   "Oops, yes, we now return you to your regularly scheduled kgcc    |_