[Sussex] Broadband and Suse 9.2

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed May 25 19:14:16 UTC 2005

Hi awd

awd wrote:
> Am new to this LUG and any other for that matter, so please bear with me
> if I do not post correctly
>
> Can anyone help on my little problem?

Some bits to try ( from a terminal )

1. Confirm you can ping an external IP.  Try pinging 66.249.87.104 (one
of google's addresses).  Use

	ping -n 66.249.87.104

The -n stops ping attempting to lookup a hostname for the IP.  We just
want to establish raw connectivity at the moment.

2. Confirm you can resolve names.  Ping google by name.

	ping www.google.com

Does it respond?  If not you may have a DNS problem.

3. Try a text mode browser like lynx or links.  Again in a terminal do

	lynx http://www.google.com
or
	links http://www.google.com

Does google appear?  If you haven't got lynx or links, then you could try

	wget http://www.google.com

which would download the google home page to a file on your pc.

If all the above suceed then you need to start looking at your browser
settings - post again for that I think.

HTH

Cheers
--