[Sussex] Access to RHEL updates without subscription

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue May 31 07:40:43 UTC 2005

On Monday 30 May 2005 23:18, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Not my machines unfortunately, if they were they'd be wiped and
> installed with Debian in the blink of an eye ;) I hadn't thought about
> ftp'ing the sources down.

Obviously, as per the license agreement, you'd need to remove all Red Hat
trademarks and branding from these packages before compiling and installing
them on your system.

> I guess mainly because I assumed that up2date
> would grab anything it was able to get, but it is clearly not that
> sophisticated (as in being able to work with a mixture of subscription
> and freely available packages).

The command line you're looking for to download the source packages is:

up2date --nox --src --download kernel-source

However, as up2date is the 'frontend' for the RHN, you won't be able to
download those packages without a valid subscription.

Also - up2date plays very well with 3rd party package resources here, which
ones are you trying to use, and what exactly is the problem?

Thanks,

Jon
--
Jon Fautley <jfautley at redhat.com>     direct: +44 1483 739615
 Presales Technical Consultant        office: +44 1483 300169