[Sussex] Broadband and suse9.2

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue May 31 11:06:37 UTC 2005

Hi anthony

Are you still wrestling with this one?  If you are, here are some more
thoughts...

On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:37:00 +0100
anthony <bluejay at smartemail.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> DHCP Configuration
>
>      X       Server On       Start IP    192.168.1.2
>                     End IP    192.168.1.254
>           Lease time     60seconds
</snip>

Very short lease time - could set this to a couple of days if you like
- no impact on current problem though, since your adapters are getting
an IP fine.

All that looks ok.  Both installations are using the same ip, both
getting a gateway alright (since we can ping, etc).  Router has very
simple configuration that looks fine.

I see from another post that you could surf from a live CD via
konqueror just fine.  What browser are you using on Suse?  Do you have
another one you can try?  Does it do the same thing?

If you haven't already fixed the problem, just for completeness could
you do

/sbin/route -n

in a terminal and post the result?

Also can you try the following, again from a terminal:-

telnet smtp1.google.com 25

This will connect you to one of google's mail servers.  Once you
connect (you'll get a banner like 'HELO 220 smtp.google.com ESMTP')
type QUIT to close the connection again.

Now try

telnet www.google.co.uk 80

Do you get to the telnet banner saying something like 'Escape
character is '^]''?  Or does telnet fail to connect?

If you do connect type in

GET / HTTP/1.0

and press return twice.  You should get back some headers and html
from the google servers.

Let us know what happened.

Cheers

Ronan