[Sussex] Access to RHEL updates without subscription

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Tue May 31 22:21:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 17:30 +0100, Jon Fautley wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 11:46, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Tue, 31 May, 2005 8:39, Jon Fautley said:
> > > Obviously, as per the license agreement, you'd need to remove all Red Hat
> >
> > Could you please let me know which part of the license agreement it is
> > that requires one to remove all RH trademarks before *compiling and
> > installing* a package.
> > All I can find is Section 2 in
> > https://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_rha_eula.html which simply refers to
> > *distributing* a package, compiling one for yourself would be absolutely
> > fine.
>
> Correct - however, I believe that Paul is (and I may be reading too much into
> his previous post / using prior knowledge) doing this on behalf of a client,
> in which case he's redistributing the package.
>
> Obviously, the above is a slightly 'grey' area (what happens if he does it on
> his client's time/etc).. or he could be doing it for a home machine.
>
> I guess it also depends on your definition of 'distributing'..

Indeed it does. Surely if I downloaded the file on the customer machine
and installed it on the customer machine I am not distributing it. If
that is going to cause a problem I can always get the customer to do the
keying in to download the file under my instruction and then use it once
it is there - or say that is what happened if questioned ;)

I would have thought that distributing is when I download and then pass
on the code on some form of media for someone else to use. If I am
simply using the code in the course of working on a customer machine
then I wouldn't class myself as distributing. If that is the case then
am I distributing the RHN binaries to the machines with valid
subscriptions when I work on them? Perhaps I shouldn't be using the RHN
because it is not my license to access the RHN that is being used - I am
therefore gaining access on false pretences and then distributing the
binaries to someone who does actually have a license.

As you say, a grey area ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/