[Sussex] Ubuntu Breezy apt strangeness

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Nov 1 09:24:34 UTC 2005

Hi folks

Anyone else own a breezy badger and seeing strange things with apt?  I
do a manual apt-get update every day (as well as the whole
update-notifier thing - once a command liner, always a command
liner!!) so I know my apt sources cache was up to date yesterday.
However look what happened this morning when I wanted to install the
cvs client:-

==START

ronan at rncubuntu:tmp $ sudo apt-get install cvs
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Package cvs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
<snip>
and so on for the rest of my sources
</snip>
E: Package cvs has no installation candidate

ronan at rncubuntu:tmp $ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com breezy-security Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release.gpg [189B]
Get:3 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy Release [30.9kB]
Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com breezy-security Release [19.6kB]
<snip>
blah blah
</snip>
Fetched 3282kB in 29s (110kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

ronan at rncubuntu:tmp $ sudo apt-get install cvs
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  cvs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/1441kB of archives.
After unpacking 3088kB of additional disk space will be used.

Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package cvs.
(Reading database ... 92850 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cvs (from .../cvs_1%3a1.12.9-13ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cvs (1.12.9-13ubuntu1) ...

ronan at rncubuntu:tmp $

==END

The apt sources cache was completely missing!  It updates fine and all is now
super dooper again, but this isn't the first time this has happened.  Anyone
else seen this with breezy?

Cheers

--
Ronan