[Sussex] Re: Mandriva 2006

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Wed Nov 2 20:01:18 UTC 2005

Hi Desmond

> I ran into problem with Mandriva upgrade.
> The sound was permanently muted, and resisted all efforts to un-mute.
> The problem was on my laptop when upgrading from Mandriva 2005LE to
> Mandriva 2006. Today I ran into the same problem with another machine
> which I upgraded from Mandrake 10.1 to Mandriva 2006.
> So now I have done clean install, wiping the system partition and now
> all is well. Of course, the user profiles remain undamaged.
> One problem is that gnome-CD is flakey.
> KsCD is a brilliant player and even plays, correctly, the BBC music
> magazine discs.
> All in all Mandriva 2006 is an extremely good distro, and I have
> installed it on many machines.

I don't think I've ever successfully managed to upgrade a Mandrake
distribution - I've always ended up reinstalling the while caboodle.
This is where a cunning partitioning scheme to start with can save you
headaches - as you obviously did always put /home on another partition
(preferably another disk entirely).

For playing CDs you can try xmms or beep media player with a direct cd
data plugin - works great for me!!

Incidentally your email was a classic example of naughty thread
hijacking, which our ever looming LUG Police (aka Steve) recently
commented on as being bad form - mixes up the threads in peoples email
clients.  When you start a new topic always create it on a fresh email,
not a reply to another email.

Cheers

--
Ronan