[Sussex] Mandriva Install Party

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 08:53:21 UTC 2005

Here are the details for our install party.
If you wish to join in please let me know.

MONDAY, 21st November
"Small Hall" (on the ground floor)
Thomas Wall Centre
Benhill Avenue, Sutton

Car park entrance: North end of Lenham Road

Hall booked from 18:30 for 4 hours
Caretaker locks up at 22:30

CHANGES:
Mandriva are not sending a representative, so, as it proved difficult to
find a venue with parking on the official date, we have arranged the event
for Monday. Desmond will now be the "host".
According to Mandriva they are running this event in 64 centres - but
Desmond's application was the only one from the UK to arrive before the
deadline.
Mandriva have sent some CDs to allow participants to look at Mandriva 2006
(also posters, mouse mats and pens!!) Desmond plans to augment this by duplicating
about 20 sets of the full Mandriva release.

COSTS:
We expect Mandriva to reimburse the costs of the event so that we do not
plan any entrance fee. However, if you accept Desmond's disks it would seem
reasonable to offer to refund the cost of materials.

PREPARATION:
1. If you intend to install and keep Linux on your hard drive something
around 10GB of free space should be plenty (after allowing suitable free
space for Windows, etc, if you want a dual-boot set-up.) Also at least 128 MB RAM.
2. DEFRAGMENT your disk before the meeting (If you have Win98 or ME, Desmond
recommends defragmenting in Safe Mode for speed; this does not apply for
WinXP.)

ON THE EVENING:
1. The Thomas Wall car park holds about 30 cars - but we might not be the
only meeting that evening. There is plenty of on-street parking nearby.
2. Don't worry if you can't get there by 18:30 - arriving by 20:00 or so
should allow time for the installation (perhaps a second sitting!) We shall
need to start clearing up soon after 22:00
3. If you can bring a 4-way extension lead it might come in handy - there
are only 3 power points in the hall.
4. If you cannot bring your machine, do come anyway - the "Small Hall" is
quite large!