[Sussex] grub problem - post kernel upgrade

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 12:44:50 UTC 2005

Dave Chapman wrote:

>On Monday 14 November 2005 08:38, John D. wrote:
>

>>Hi list,
>>Obviously, it'd be better if I could just copy the .bak to the main
>>grub.conf (which appears to be empty), but I'd write it long hand and
>>enter the info if I can just get into the system or see the grub.conf
>>file via the grub> prompt.
>>
>>Does anyone know how I can get round this please??
>>
>>regards
>>
>>John D.
>>

>Simply boot from CD
>Set a root password  "sudo passwd" or use "su" in konsole.
>
>then
>cd /etc
>cp grub.conf.bak grub.conf
>
>I think

I seem to be able to "change" the passwd (alledgedly) as it gives me the
"right noises", I then do the cd into the hda1 (the boot partition), but
when I issue the command to copy the grub.conf.bak to the grub.conf I
just get
"root at 0[hda1]# cp /mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf.bak /mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf
cp: overwrite `/mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf', overriding mode 0644? y
cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf': Read-only
file system
root at 0[hda1]#"

I've also tried to chroot, but the kanotix won't let me do that either.
I think it's probably a case of having to do that with the gentoo live
CD instead, but I don't understand if I can just stick the disc in, let
it finish booting and then just issue the chroot command? because when
you're doing an install, the part where you actually do the chroot is a
long way into the proceedure?

So any other ideas please ???

regards

John D.