[Sussex] grub problem - post kernel upgrade

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 14:03:06 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> Dave Chapman wrote:
>
>> On Monday 14 November 2005 08:38, John D. wrote:
>>

>>> Hi list,
>>> Obviously, it'd be better if I could just copy the .bak to the main
>>> grub.conf (which appears to be empty), but I'd write it long hand and
>>> enter the info if I can just get into the system or see the grub.conf
>>> file via the grub> prompt.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how I can get round this please??
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> John D.
>>>

>> Simply boot from CD Set a root password  "sudo passwd" or use "su" in
>> konsole.
>>
>> then
>> cd /etc
>> cp grub.conf.bak grub.conf
>>
>> I think
>>
> I seem to be able to "change" the passwd (alledgedly) as it gives me
> the "right noises", I then do the cd into the hda1 (the boot
> partition), but when I issue the command to copy the grub.conf.bak to
> the grub.conf I just get
> "root at 0[hda1]# cp /mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf.bak /mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf
> cp: overwrite `/mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf', overriding mode 0644? y
> cp: cannot create regular file `/mnt/hda1/grub/grub.conf': Read-only
> file system
> root at 0[hda1]#"
>

> I've also tried to chroot, but the kanotix won't let me do that
> either. I think it's probably a case of having to do that with the
> gentoo live CD instead, but I don't understand if I can just stick the
> disc in, let it finish booting and then just issue the chroot command?
> because when you're doing an install, the part where you actually do
> the chroot is a long way into the proceedure?
>
> So any other ideas please ???

Ok so I've managed to get back into the system to try to correct my
problem. I can boot it etc etc, but only by putting the info manually
into grub as it's still dropping me into the grub> prompt.

I've done the usual n00b approach, unmerged grub and then re-emerged it,
but this hasn't made any difference. Plus I'm also trying to re-run the
genkernel too see what it comes up with.

Any further advice/suggestions please ???

regards

John D.