[Sussex] grub problem - post kernel upgrade

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Nov 14 14:52:46 UTC 2005

Hi John

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:01:52 +0000
"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> John D. wrote:
>

> Ok so I've managed to get back into the system to try to correct my
> problem. I can boot it etc etc, but only by putting the info manually
> into grub as it's still dropping me into the grub> prompt.
>
> I've done the usual n00b approach, unmerged grub and then re-emerged
> it, but this hasn't made any difference. Plus I'm also trying to
> re-run the genkernel too see what it comes up with.
>
> Any further advice/suggestions please ???

If you can get into the system by bashing in the kernel boot parameters
at the grub prompt then all you need to do is duplicate that
information into grub.conf.  Can you not boot up, su to root and then
just edit the grub.conf file (which is probably a symlink
to /boot/grub/menu.lst)?

Well done for getting it to boot though!

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com