[Sussex] Sony violates LGPL

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Nov 18 14:22:45 UTC 2005

Andrew

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:49:50PM -0000, Andrew Guard wrote:
> > For any not reading the Register, and watching the arguments over Sony's
> > DRM 'rootkit': http://hack.fi/~muzzy/sony-drm/
>
> OK it not Sony to blame it
>
> First 4 Internet Ltd

What do you mean Sony is not to blame?  Of course they are to
blame - F4I didn't go to Sony, point a gun and say: install
our DRM software or else.  At some point some exec in Sony
made the decision to put DRM software onto the CDs they produced.
So they subcontracted that work to a third party - so what?
If they made the decision to put the code on then *they* have
the responsibility to make sure that it is fit for the purpose.

  "You can delegate authority but you can't delegate
  responsibility."

Sony could sue F4I (because it was, presumably, propriety code
and Sony didn't get source) if they feel that F4I didn't provide
software fit for the purpose.  But the people who bought the CDs
should sue Sony.

> But also note there is a big difrance between GPL and LGPL!

Very true.  You can compile in LGPL code and not publish.  Well,
if you modify the LGPL code you must publish that.  However, as
I said earlier, GPL code has been found in the DRM s/w so that
code does require publication.