[Sussex] Gnupg and it's use

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 12:55:31 UTC 2005

Hi Steve,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:32:57PM GMT, Steve Dobson wrote:
> >                  I know that people who use Outlook Express will get
> > annoyed if they receive signed mail as for them they get a blank mail
> > with two attachments, one of which is the message, which they then have
> > to open in Notepad.  I can see this as being a barrier to potential new
> > users and that you may discourage the use of gpg as a result.
>
> While this may be a problem for people who use broken MTAs (and
> I respect their right to do so) it should not be a problem for the
> rest of us.  GnuPG has been integrated with one of M$'s MTAs so
> it really isn't a barrier for them too.

I didn't know Gnupg had been partially integrated.  Which MTA?  (Or
should that be MUA?  Sorry to get all pedantic. ;) )

> > Am I close, or is that you simply just don't use gpg?
>
> Personally I think most people are just lazy.

Fair enough.

--%<--

> > --
> > GPG: key ID 0xB3394ECE
>
> There is no point in putting your GnuPG ID in your signature.  If
> you want to put something put the fingerprint in, but personally
> I don't think that is worth doing either.  Just sign everything
> that leaves!

Ah!  That was me being rather sheep like and copying others.  After
thinking about it I can see your point.  Key ID duly removed from sig.

> I see that you're name is not do to come to the Moot tomorrow, so
> we can't do a key signing there.  Where abouts are you?  If your
> close maybe we could go out for a drink and exchange keys some
> time.

This could be a bit awkward, I live in a small village in North
Yorkshire.  Why are you subscribed to the Sussex LUG I hear you ask.
Well, I was born and brought up in Runcton (just outside Chichester) so
when I looked through the UK LUG listings and found this list I thought
for old time sake I see what people from my home area were doing with
Linux.  Rather a lot it seems!  So I subscribed and have been skimming
off info and useful tips since. (hope you don't mind) I did manage to
get to a meeting this time last year while I was down visiting my
parents though.

I will, however, be down over Xmas and would like to exchange keys.  I'm
trying to get some things organised on that score at my local LUG in
Scarborough and with other local LUGs.  Scarborough LUG has just twinned
with a group from Manresa in Spain, and as we have a bizarre agreement
that one group will travel to meet the other based upon the outcome of
the eurovision song contest it seems we may be able to expand the web of
trust to the Catux LUG.  Watch this space!

Toodle pip,

Al

--
Al Girling