[Sussex] Newb Question - Reading NTFS filesystem

Neil Simmons nasimmons at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 13:22:55 UTC 2005

Hi all

So I've finally wrested my PC from the mitts of The Ex, and it's now
quite happily dual-booting ExPee Howl (SP2) and Unbuntu.

However, there's just one small thing I need to do....

I've got three hard drives in the box. One contains the Windows
partition (hd0), one the Linux filesystem (hd2), and yet another my
storage (hd1).

The storage drive was formatted long before the Linux install, and is in NTFS.

Google tells me that Linux can read NTFS. I'd like to be able to
access it from Linux, so that I can play my mp3s in a decent OS, but
at present, the filesystem doesn't see the drive at all.

Please could someone offer some advice as to how I:

 - mount that hdd so that I can actually see it, and
 - read (do I need to execute too?) the files in NTFS?

Or should I just shift the data, reformat in FAT and start again?

Thanks

Neil