[Sussex] Newb Question - Reading NTFS filesystem

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Nov 24 15:09:02 UTC 2005

Neil

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:05:24AM +0000, Neil Simmons wrote:
> So I've finally wrested my PC from the mitts of The Ex, and it's now
> quite happily dual-booting ExPee Howl (SP2) and Unbuntu.
>
> However, there's just one small thing I need to do....
>
> I've got three hard drives in the box. One contains the Windows
> partition (hd0), one the Linux filesystem (hd2), and yet another my
> storage (hd1).
>
> The storage drive was formatted long before the Linux install, and is in NTFS.
>
> Google tells me that Linux can read NTFS. I'd like to be able to
> access it from Linux, so that I can play my mp3s in a decent OS, but
> at present, the filesystem doesn't see the drive at all.

I believe that writing to NTFS is not considered safe in Linux land
too - but do more research - as I don't use Windows I don't track
those sort of things.

> Please could someone offer some advice as to how I:
>
>  - mount that hdd so that I can actually see it, and
>  - read (do I need to execute too?) the files in NTFS?
>
> Or should I just shift the data, reformat in FAT and start again?

If you want to write to the partition then FAT32 has been around for
so long that Linux support is solid and Microsoft can't change the
format without breaking everything.  But do want you think is right.

First become root.  Then load the ntfs module

   # modprobe ntfs

You can now mount NTFS partition with something like:

   # mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/ntfs

Check out the mount man page as the devices you have and the mount
point you use is up to you and must match your system that I don't
have info of.