[Sussex] Ubuntu Breezy apt strangeness

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Sat Nov 26 01:26:31 UTC 2005

Hi Thomas

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:15:06 +0000
Thomas Adam <thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org> wrote:

> (Belated.  Apologies for this.)

No problem.

> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 09:20:51AM +0000, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> > However look what happened this morning when I wanted to install the
> > cvs client:-
>
> What was the time-span between running the command below, and you
> running the first 'apt-get update' command?  Do you do anything like
> this from within Cron?

I generally do an apt-get update before I install, but this appeared
when using apt-cache to search the package database.  Funnily
enough there have been a few updates to breezy, among which the problem
seems to have gone away - at least it hasn't happened for a good few
weeks now.

Ubuntu scripts an update once a day via cron.  I haven't had any
cron error reports. I was always able to rebuild the cache but can't see
why it was disappearing in the first place.

> > The apt sources cache was completely missing! It updates fine and
> > all is now super dooper again, but this isn't the first time this
> > has happened. Anyone else seen this with breezy?
>
> Regardless of timespans, running:
>
> apt-get update && apt-get install foo

Yes, indeedy - I'll be getting into that habit I think.  However it was
worrying that my package cache was disappearing seemingly without my
intervention.  I'm used to the debian package system being as stable and
solid as a very stable thing made of very solid rock!  The local package
cache might be out of date, but shouldn't disappear completely!!!!!

Might install an unpatched breezy somewhere and see if I can replicate
the problem...

Cheers

--
Ronan