[Sussex] Samba strikes again!

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 02:58:53 UTC 2005

Hi list,

I'm trying to get Samba working again, this time under gentoo.

Now I've tried to follow gentoos howto for Samba (which also seems to
cover cups and clamav). Also I found a thread that was about Samba and
printing. Neither of which proved very helpful - as following the
instructions seemed to generate unexplicable errors.

OK thinks me, I've got webmin installed. I should be able to get "it"
doing something with that.

Wrong! - Initially, it wouldn't let me log in as either user or root. It
also kept throwing up something called kwallet manager. So OK, I read
the help file from kwallet manager. That was as clear as mud!

After a bit of meddling, I think I succeeded in stoping kwallet manager
from giving me the weird (and to me, undecypherable) dialogues.

Plus, after unmerging and re-emerging webmin, it seems to let me in as
root, but I can't find anyway of using it to create samba users.

I'm not even sure if I actually need any users, other than root (and
trying #smbpasswd -a john just gives me errors).

If I try running webmin>servers>samba>swat I just get told
*Quote:*
You cannot run SWAT through Webmin, as your Samba configuration has the
Only allow:... (allow hosts) option set.

So any advice on what I need to do to get this PITA working is much
appreciated.

Oh and my smb.conf looks like this (I presume that it's been
auto-generated during the install or something like that)...
*Quote:*

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]
dns proxy = no
log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
netbios name = samba server
load printers = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd
printing = cups
server string = Samba Server %v
workgroup = mybloodyworkgroup
os level = 20
map to guest = bad user
printcap name = cups
encrypt passwords = yes
security = share
printer admin = @adm
max log size = 50
allow hosts = ***.***.***.***

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
writeable = yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
guest ok = yes
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r # using client side printer
drivers.
; print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use
generic PostScript on clients).
# The following two commands are the samba defaults for printing=cups
# change them only if you need different options:
; lpq command = lpq -P %p
; lprm command = cancel %p-%j

# This share is used for Windows NT-style point-and-print support.
# To be able to install drivers, you need to be either root, or listed
# in the printer admin parameter above. Note that you also need write
access
# to the directory and share definition to be able to upload the drivers.
# For more information on this, please see the Printing Support Section of
# /usr/share/doc/samba-<version>/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
write list = @adm root
guest ok = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
; comment = Temporary file space
; path = /tmp
; read only = no
; public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
; comment = Public Stuff
; path = /home/samba/public
; public = yes
; writable = no
; write list = @staff
# Audited directory through experimental VFS audit.so module:
# Uncomment next line.
; vfs object = /usr/lib/samba/vfs/audit.so

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by Fred. Spool data will be placed in
Fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool
directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
; comment = Fred's Printer
; valid users = fred
; path = /homes/fred
; printer = freds_printer
; public = no
; writable = no
; printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by Fred. Note that Fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
; comment = Fred's Service
; path = /usr/somewhere/private
; valid users = fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %u option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
; comment = PC Directories
; path = /usr/pc/%m
; public = no
; writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user
instead.
;[public]
; path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
; public = yes
; only guest = yes
; writable = yes
; printable = no

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that
two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be
extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
; comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
; path = /usr/somewhere/shared
; valid users = mary fred
; public = no
; writable = yes
; printable = no
; create mask = 0765

Plus, as far as I can work out, SWAT would have been installed with
Samba, but if I try that directly in a browser, it just errors me out
i.e. no login window or anything.

I don't think that I need an smb.conf anywhere near as complicated as
the one above - but I can't locate anything that will explain what I
actually do need.

Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction???

regards

John D.