Plain English was [Re: [Sussex] Grammar (was Gnupg and it's use)]

Nik Butler nik at butlershouse.co.uk
Sat Nov 26 20:55:49 UTC 2005

Tonights example From BBC News website.
"A Royal Marine and two RAF and Navy helicopters helped take them to
leisure centres and emergency shelters for the night."

So how many helicopters were there ? When I first read the article I
thought there were four helicopters and one really tough and well
trained royal marine commando.

It seems to me that the journalist meant

" Three helicopters provided by the Royal Marines, the Navy and the RAF.  "

Also I dont think NAVY is a acronym like RAF , the RAF is the Royal Air
Force the Navy is just that, the Navy .