[Sussex] [OFF TOPIC] A Plea to the Myth community.

David Morris slug at greenacre.no-ip.com
Tue Nov 29 10:49:56 UTC 2005

Paul Tansom wrote:

>** Nik Butler <nik at butlershouse.co.uk> [2005-11-28 21:39]:
><snip>
>

>>My personal view is that the BBC should make these and other shows
>>available to download on demand and that they could charge the ( by now
>>traditional ) 99pence for the benefit. I am aware they are planning to
>>do this next year , a move which made me feel proud to be British, but
>>for now im stuck.
>>

>** end quote [Nik Butler]
>
>Yes the BBC is in the second stage trial of Imp (I think it is called)
>which allows you to access any programs up to 7 days from the original
>air date. The system is based around peer to peer technology where you
>pull some of it from other people who have already watched it. Sadly I
>didn't get accepted for the trial. There is a slight downer on this
>though. Apart from the obvious DRM built in to stop you watching things
>after the 7 days (which I can accept to a degree, but it is an odd issue
>given the ability to record to tape or disc), it is only available for
>Windows :(

They seeme to suggest that there will be a linux and Mac OSX version though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/imp/help/index.shtml#a14

*14. When will I get iMP on Mac & Linux?
*We are currently conducting a content trial of iMP with 5,000 users in
order to assess audience interest. As this is a trial it has only been
possible to develop a version for Windows using Windows Media 9 Digital
Rights Management, given time and budget constraints. Should the service
be approved, we aim to make it accessible for different platforms, like
Macintosh and Linux. Our suppliers are currently working towards this.