[Sussex] Which eth0 module?

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 12:14:34 UTC 2005

Diego Moore wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My Gentoo install the other day went all well besides bringing eth0
> up. As the machine would no longer boot from the cd (strange...) I
> decided to wait untill I started to do another install on an identical
> machine.
>
> lspci tells me I have:
> Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev
>
> And lsmod tells me I have:
> 3c59x                  31048  0
> mii                     2944  1 3c59x
>
> So do I need to compile the 3c59x module or mii?

Both - mii is a 'supermodule' (sorry, couldn't think of the correct name
for it) that the 3c59x module uses. mii is the type of transciever on
the card, I believe - so it's used to monitor link state, speed, do
autonegotiation/etc. The mii module is used by many different network cards.

The kernel should automatically realise that mii is a dependancy of
3x59x and enable it for you.

Jon