[Sussex] [OFF TOPIC] A Plea to the Myth community.

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Nov 29 19:55:55 UTC 2005

Richie

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 07:00:05PM +0000, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> >Why bother?  I refer you to the BBC's Royal Charter:
> >
> >  OBJECTS OF THE CORPORATION
> >  3. The objects of the Corporation are as follows:-
> >
> >  (a) To provide, as public services, sound and television broadcasting
> >  services (whether by analogue or digital means) and to provide sound
> >  and television programme of information, education and entertainment
> >  for general reception in Our United Kingdom of Great Britain and
> >  Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man and the
> >  territorial waters thereof, and on board ships and aircraft (such
> >  services being hereinafter referred to as "the Home Services") and for
> >  reception elsewhere within the Commonwealth and in other countries and
> >  places overseas (such services being hereinafter referred to as "the
> >  World Service") the Home Services and the World Service together being
> >  hereinafter referred to as "the Public Services".
> >
> >  (b) Subject to the prior approval of Our Secretary of State or within
> >  such limits as may be agreed from time to time between the Corporation
> >  and Our Secretary of State, to provide, as public services, other
> >  services whether or not broadcasting or programme supply services
> >  (such services being hereinafter referred to as "the Ancillary
> >  Services").
> >
> >  INTERPRETATION
> >  25. In this Our Charter, (unless the context otherwise requires):
> >  "broadcast" means broadcast by wireless telegraphy;
> >  "for general reception" means capable of being received at any place
> >  or places, or in any area, in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands
> >  and the Isle of Man and elsewhere free of charge and without payment
> >  other than such payment as may be required under the Wireless Telegraphy
> >  Act 1949 for a television licence or such other form of funding or
> >  payment for the Home Services as may from time to time be approved by
> >  Our Secretary of State;
> >
> Thats interesting - so how do they justify broadcasting TV that the
> british public pay for across Belgium and the Netherlands??

Go read the charter
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/policies/charter/pdf/charter_text.shtml
But section (c) says it all:

    (c) Subject to the prior approval of Our Secretary of State, to
    provide (whether alone or together with any other person firm or
    corporation) sound and television broadcasting services and
    communication services (whether by analogue or digital means) and to
    provide sound and television programmes of information, education and
    entertainment funded by advertisements, subscription, sponsorship,
    pay-per-view system, or any other means of finance whether for
    reception by the general public free of charge or available on
    individual demand or encrypted or not in Our United Kingdom of
    Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the
    Isle of Man and the territorial waters thereof and elsewhere in
    the world (such services being hereinafter referred to as "the
    Commercial Services").

Personally I'm happy for Belgium and the Netherlands to get British
Speaking telly - I think that a lot of the BBC's output is a very
good ambassador for Britain.