[Sussex] [OFF TOPIC] A Plea to the Myth community.

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 00:18:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 20:42 +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> And when was the last time you saw a NTSC or SCAM only TV for sale in
> Dixons or Currys?  As PAL is the standard for the UK that it is hardly
> surprising that the BBC uses PAL as the standard to transmit in.
> Especially when the spectrum is so full.

And when was the last time you saw a Linux-only PC for sale in Dixons or
Currys?

As Windows is the "standard" (defined as that having well in excess of
50% of the market) for the UK, it is hardly surprising that the BBC uses
Windows Media Player as the standard in to send DRM content.

I hope that the BBC _will_ adopt Open Standards for its web-available
content. However, I don't believe that trying to tackle the BBC on legal
grounds and claiming that supporting Windows in favour of Linux is
against the law will actually help the cause one bit :-(

M.