[Sussex] OFF-TOPIC a quick rant

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Nov 30 18:08:21 UTC 2005

** Nik Butler <nik at reducedhackers.com> [2005-11-30 11:23]:
> ahh nits and pickers  ... its from here
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/faq.aspx
>
> http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2005/11/21/213049/MicrosoftreleasesWindowsupdateFirefoxplug-in.htm
>
> as always google is your friend
** end quote [Nik Butler]

Hmm, as I read that you can validate using Firefox by downloading either
a Firefox plugin or a stand alone executable. The question is why?

On one hand there's the trust issue - do you trust Microsoft to write a
decent plugin, or will it make Firefox (almost) as prone to
vulnerabilities as IE is?

On the other, once you've validated what does that give you? Access to
the Windows update which still requires IE to work (and possibly a
couple of apps that you probably don't really want anyway!).

As ever, good PR, no practical benefit whatsoever - or am I being too
cynical here? ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com