[Sussex] Introduction

Rob Malpass rob at malpass133.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 14:44:25 UTC 2005

After a few months of lurking around here, I thought it high time to
introduce myself.

Hello!

I always find these sorts of emails impossible to write without sounding
pompous, but here goes.... starting with a bit about myself.

I'm 31, living and working in Worthing since July this year having left
London!   I'm definitely a Linux fan and a fan of IT in general.   My
current house (which is temporary while we try and buy somewhere) is too
small to afford any more than one XP box and a Debian machine - with the XP
box almost permanently having a ssh session open to the Debian machine.

However I have had (and will have again once we've moved) a network of
around 17 machines running various different OS's (XP, Win98, Slackware,
Debian, Solaris (2 Sparcs) and an IMac).   Why so many?   Two reasons: 1) I
like to use the best tool for the job (i.e. learning Linux I use Debian,
server OS I use Slackware, graphics and web design, I use a Mac, programming
I use Sparcs and for general surfing, burning CDs etc I use XP. 2) I
absolutely hate dual booting.

My experience with Linux is pretty limited.   I've had a Linux machine since
about 1998 but I've not done much with any of them.   I considered it an
achievement to print, to network it to Windows and to get X running on Slack
3.1 was no joke without knowing the intimate details of the graphics card!
Furthermore getting sound out of the Debian  box was harder than it should
have been.   My greatest Linux achievement has been to network 4 Slackware
machines together to make a "heteogeneous parallel cluster" aka a
Supercomputer but if we're being as down-to-Earth as we should be - 4 PCs
running some message passing software to produce a .ras file of a mandelbrot
set.

Three other things that might be of interest:
1) I'm doing an BSc in Computing with the OU
2) Buying a RISC, or maybe even Iyonix machine for Christmas from CJE
Micros.
3) Best for last - I'm partially sighted so doubt I'll be able to make many
of the "moots".

Cheers - look forward to contributing to this list.
Rob