[Sussex] A SLUG Podcast - Another Way to Promote the Club

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Oct 4 16:23:52 UTC 2005

Hi all

Last week Nik showed me some of the podcasts that he downloaded.  I knew
about them but hadn't got around to looking into them more closely.  My
mistake.

Podcasts, for those that don't know, are shows, either audio or audio
and visual, which are broadcast over the net.  We're not talking real
time here (mostly).  To see some good examples checkout
  http://revision3.com/
  http://thisweekintech.com/
But to download the visual podcasts you'll need broadband.

I did start talking about my plans at last week's moot, and for those
that didn't manage to make it (shame, shame) here the same stuff in
text form.

The basic idea is to raise awareness of the club, and to have some fun
while doing it.  I thought we could make two/three podcasts:

  1). How to install Knoppix,
  2). How to build a MythTV box, and
  3). How to produce podcasts on Linux.

Obviously it should be our goal to only use F/OSS software that runs
on Linux.  This is not a project that is going to work unless a number
of people (yes, this means *you*) take part.  There are just too many
jobs for one person to do on their own:
   Director
   Producer
   Actors
   Sound (Colin T as he as access to the appropriate hardware)
   Camera operators (and camera)

But there is also all the pre- and post-production jobs too:
   Script writers / Story boarders - From what I've seen and
       read you need to know what you are going to film before
       you film it.
   Composers - Gavin has volunteered to write an original bit of
       music for us.
   Title and credit developers - maybe using PoV-RAY or Blender
   Editors - someway of bring the whole thing together an
       polishing it.

The editing looks to be the most difficult.  I've found two apps
that appear to do the job.  Kino which is simple, and Cinerrela.
Cinerrela appears to be the industrial strength app, but the site
I read suggested that 64-bit computing was needed.  If you're
doing a lot of effects with it then a 64-bit computer would be
an advantage.  Does anyone have a 64-bit computer and would like
the job of editing?

I think the format that would work best is the one used by the
guys that do Systm (http://revision3.com/systm).  They have two
presenters - one "normal" and one "geek".  But you may have seen
a documentary on telly that used a different style that worked
well - then tell us about it.

Okay, that will do for me for now.  Please reply to this adding
your own ideas, suggestions or whatever.  If you're sitting there
thinking that this is all to complicated for a simple person like
you then think again.  Most of the jobs I've thought of so far do
NOT require IT skills.  There are some jobs which do require special
skills (like the composer - I could never do that, I'm pitch deaf)
but most of the jobs don't.

If you consider yourself an IT dummy or a nugget then get involved
with the script/story board writing - you'll be invaluable there
as we are targeting dummies/nuggets like you.  And if you ever
wanted to be a geek now is your chance - there is no requirement
that the actor playing the geek be a geek!

I hope that's got you all thinking.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #6: There is no hint #6.